Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cambridge (First couple of days)

I was supposed to meet Alice Thompson at St Edmunds and completely missed her: George had printed a map off of Google and drawn in where the college was—which would’ve worked, except the map actually led me to Churchill College and I didn’t scout it out ahead of time. I eventually found St Eds, but too late to meet Alice.

I wandered around Cambridge for a while more, before going back to the house. Not a very exciting day, but everything gets started in earnest tomorrow.

Cambridge: Day 2 (Jan 4)

My first day. I have an office here, which was cold until I found that I could control the heat (I discovered this on Day 3, Jan 5). I went out for a late lunch and ended up having a very good “full breakfast” at a little place here. It was very good, and worth going back to. I met with Dr Liht and Alice Thompson, who are both part of the program.

After work, I dropped my bag off at the house and walked for a long while. I eventually found a pub for a late dinner, but was more interested in getting a sense of the lay of the town (hint: I’m getting there). The entire place is beautiful, so I’ll have to start snapping a bunch of pictures. The pub I went to for dinner was having “quiz night” and the round I was there for was a bunch of US-themed questions like “What state is the ‘Bluegrass State?”, “What is Hillary Clinton’s maiden name?” or “Finish this 1957 movie title: 3:10 to ___.” I felt very smart, even though I wasn’t participating. I was giving the answers to the guys sitting next to me, who also weren’t playing, but were still guessing.

No comments: